Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salamanca in Municipality of Salamanca, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Main Garden or Constitution Square

 
 
The Main Garden or Constitution Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 3, 2018
1. The Main Garden or Constitution Square Marker
Inscription.
Jardín Principal o Constitución
Es uno de los espacios públicos más bellos de Salamanca inaugurado el 16 de Septiembre de 1910 con motivo de los festejos del primer Centenario de la Independencia Nacional, obra en la que se incluyó el kiosko, los árboles de la clase laurel de la India y el diseño de los prados de su jardín; sus bancas de fierro vaciado datan del año 1908. En este sitio convergen algunas de las construcciones con mayor relevancia histórica y artística del municipio, como el Palacio de Gobierno (Casa Municipal), los Portales, diversas casas de dos plantas que ostentan un elegante estilo muy característico del porfiriato, además del maravilloso Templo del Señor del Hospital y Expiatorio.

Este entorno salmantino se comenzó a formar desde el siglo XVIII, siendo el punto desde donde se inició la traza de la Villa de Salamanca en el año de 1603, año de la fundación de Salamanca en este mismo sitio, el cual funge como centro núcleo urbano civil, político y religioso. A partir de entonces se ha ido desarrollando junto con la misma ciudad.

Son tres los portales de diferentes formas en sus pilares, columnas y arcos de otras épocas que bordean el Jardín Principal de la Constitución: el Portal José Rojas Garcidueñas “El Bachiller” (antes portal de Los Bravo) S. XVIII,
The Main Garden or Constitution Square Marker English side image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 3, 2018
2. The Main Garden or Constitution Square Marker English side
el Portal Corregidora S. XIX y el Portal Octaviano Muñoz Ledo S. XX. El primero de ellos conserva una de las pocas fincas que hay en Salamanca con su arquitectura original: fachada barroca en la planta baja en el primer tramo del portal, en otra casa contrasta con el estilo neoclásico de la planta alta, mientras que en su patio interior contiene una serie de arcos claramente neogóticos. Asimismo, en el extremo sur de este portal se encuentra la Botica del Señor del Hospital, donde aún se preparan medicamentos con recetas verdaderamente tradicionales.

Por su parte, el Portal Muñoz Ledo el cual se encuentra justo al sur del jardín, es la puerta de entrada a la Presidencia Municipal de Salamanca. Este edificio histórico tiene su origen en el año de 1901, cuando el Jefe Político Lic. Jesús Espinoza Navarro, propuso que se levantara una nueva Casa Municipal, adquiriéndose el mesón La Rinconada y otras casas. Después de negociar con los dueños, el 20 de julio de 1901 se iniciaron los trabajos de construcción de la actual Presidencia Municipal. Finalmente, el 22 de junio de 1904 se dio por terminada la obra y días más tarde, el 4 de agosto, fue inaugurada oficialmente la Casa Municipal, como era originalmente denominada.

English:
The Main Garden or Constitution Square
(Jardín Principal o Constitución)
This is one of the most
The Main Garden or Constitution Square and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 3, 2018
3. The Main Garden or Constitution Square and Marker
This view of the marker is towards the north of the Main Garden Square.
beautiful public spaces in Salamanca opened in September 16, 1910 owing to the anniversary of the first centenary of Mexico's independence. It includes a kiosk, weeping fig trees, and beautiful grass arrangements; its cast-iron benches date back to 1908.

Some of the buildings with greater historic and artistic relevance in the town converge in this place. For instance, Palacio de Gobierno (Casa Municipal), The Portales, various two-storey houses that boast an elegant Neoclassic style very characteristic of the Profiriato (sic, Porfiriato), including the wonderful Templo del Señor del Hospital y Expiatorio.

This scenery in Salamanca dates back from the 18th century, when Villa de Salamanca started its layout in 1603, year of the foundation of Salamanca, an urban, civic, political and religious hub. Since then it has been expanded along with the city itself.

There are three portals with different forms on its pillars, columns and arches from other periods that skirt round the Jardín Principal de la Constitución: the Portal Jose Rojas Garcidueñas “El Bachiller” (formerly Portal de Los Bravos) from the 18th century, the Portal Corregidora from the 19th century and the Portal Octaviano Muñoz Ledo in the 20th century. The first building still keeps one of the few fincas in Salamanca with its original architecture: a baroque front on the ground
The Main Garden or Constitution Square and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 3, 2018
4. The Main Garden or Constitution Square and Marker
This view of the marker is towards the south of the Main Garden Square.
floor in the first section of the portal; in a different house there is a contrast with the Neoclassic style on the ground floor, while in its interior courtyard there are a series of clearly neo-gothic arches. Likewise, at the far south of this portal is the Botica del Señor del Hospital, where medicine is still prepared today from truly traditional recipes.

As for the Portal Muñoz Ledo, located to the south of the garden, this is the entrance to the Presidencia Municipal (City Hall) of Salamanca. This historic building has its origin in 1901, when the political leader Lic. Jesús Espinoza Navarro suggested the construction of a new Casa Municipal, acquiring el meson de La Rinconada and other houses for that purpose. After negotiating with the owners in July 20, 1901 the construction of the actual Presidencia Municipal started. Finally, in June 22, 1904 the construction was completed and days later on August 4, the Casa Municipal (as it was originally called) was officially inaugurated.
 
Location. 20° 34.153′ N, 101° 11.974′ W. Marker is in Salamanca, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Salamanca. Marker is on Calle Benito Juárez just east of Calle Monterrey, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salamanca, Guanajuato 36700, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Valtierrilla (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ex-Convent of Saint Augustine (within shouting distance of this marker); Hacienda of the Cañada de Ortega Sanctuary (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lord of the Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); The House of the Inquisitor (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founders of Salamanca (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Old Parish Church of Salamanca (about 150 meters away); Vasco de Quiroga (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salamanca.
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesParks & Recreational Areas
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement