Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Westlake in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Weston House / Sandstone Houses

 
 
The Weston House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kate McNeece, September 17, 2008
1. The Weston House Marker
Inscription.
The Weston House
This rare sandstone house was built for Austin (c. 1788-1848) and Roxanna (Sears) Lilly (c. 1793-1868). They came to Dover Township (now Westlake) in 1832 from Ashfield, Massachusetts, an area from which many Dover settlers originated. This lot had been owned by Ozias and Hiram Smith. The Lillys erected this house in about 1844 and lived here until 1867. It is made with sandstone blocks two feet thick, finely tooled and dressed in the front and less elaborately on the sides and rear. The basement is constructed with massive rectangular stone blocks. Thick hewn timbers support the massive roof structure. A brick wing was attached to the east side in about 1850. After 1867, the lot and house had several owners, including George Weston, James Beardsley, and August Trudel. Eventually, Alice (Mrs. Dezso) Ladanyi, the great granddaughter of George Weston, deeded the house to the city of Westlake for use as a museum.

Sandstone Houses
The sandstone used to construct this house, which displays the skill and craftsmanship of early Ohio builders, came from a local quarry, probably near Porter Road. Sandstone was rarely used to build houses because of the immense labor to extract, transport, and assemble massive stone blocks into a residence. Wood and brick were more common
Sandstone Houses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kate McNeece, September 17, 2008
2. Sandstone Houses Marker
building materials. This area has immense deposits of sandstone, used for the Canadian Parliament Buildings, public buildings in Toronto, plus sidewalks, curbs and buildings throughout Ohio. Several nearby houses are made of sandstone, including a small farmhouse farther west on this road, a finely crafted house at Schwartz and Nagel roads, and Stone Eagle Farm, 33065 Detroit Road, perhaps the region's finest early sandstone house. Nearby Amherst, home to the world's largest sandstone quarry, has a collection of moved and restored early stone buildings at Milan Avenue and Lake Street.
 
Erected 2005 by Westlake Historical Society, The Ladanyi Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 83-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 26.699′ N, 81° 55.905′ W. Marker is in Westlake, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Center Ridge Road. Touch for map. Next to the Center Ridge Road entrance to the Westlake Park and Recreation Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27946 Center Ridge Road, Westlake OH 44145, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jack Miner (approx.
The Weston House / Sandstone Houses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lysa Stanton, April 11, 2010
3. The Weston House / Sandstone Houses Marker
half a mile away); Coe Ridge (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Oxcart Library (approx. 2.3 miles away); North Olmsted Veterans Plaza (approx. 2.3 miles away); North Olmsted (approx. 2.9 miles away); Butternut Ridge Cemetery 1835 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Springvale Ballroom (approx. 3 miles away); Parker Ranch (approx. 3.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesNotable Buildings
 
The Weston House / Sandstone Houses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lysa Stanton, April 11, 2010
4. The Weston House / Sandstone Houses Marker
The Weston House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kate McNeece
5. The Weston House and Marker
The Marker and Weston House, showing sandstone walls image. Click for full size.
By Kate McNeece, September 17, 2008
6. The Marker and Weston House, showing sandstone walls
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2008, by Kate McNeece of Fairview Park, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,576 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2008, by Kate McNeece of Fairview Park, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2010, by Lysa Stanton of Westlake, Us.   5, 6. submitted on September 17, 2008, by Kate McNeece of Fairview Park, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement