Portland in Multnomah County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The architects of the Dekum Building, McCaw and Martin, made an audacious break from the cast-iron architecture of the 1880s. They adopted the new, lesser-known designs of Richardsonian Romanesque, characterized by massive rough-cut sandstone pillars on the ground level and red brick surfaces with cast terra-cotta ornamentation on the upper stories.
Erected by the State of Oregon.
Location. 45° 31.158′ N, 122° 40.508′ W. Marker is in Portland, Oregon, in Multnomah County. Marker is on S.W. Third Avenue near S.W. Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 519 SW Third Ave, Portland OR 97204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Telegram Building, 1922 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Willamette Stone The Willamette Stone (approx. 3.3 miles away); Vanport (approx. 5Ĺ miles away); Ilchee (approx. 6.8 miles away in Washington). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portland.
More about this marker. $300 thousand back then is about $6.5 million in todayís money.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2007, by Elia J. Prats of Columbus, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,559 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2007, by Elia J. Prats of Columbus, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.