Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eden in Concho County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Eden United Methodist Church

 
 
Eden United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
1. Eden United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The first Eden schoolhouse was erected in 1885, and itinerant preachers who stopped to give sermons in the schoolhouse attracted people of all faiths. A community Sunday school met in the building for several years. The first Methodist Sunday school was formed in 1901 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Williams, who lived northeast of Eden in the Maverick community. The Eden Methodist Church, south, is said to have been organized about 1904.

The Community Ladiesí Aid Society, consisting of members of all faiths, helped raise funds for a Baptist church building erected in 1905. The Methodists met in the building until they could erect their own house of worship. The Methodist congregation purchased a house for use as a parsonage in 1907; it housed circuit-riding preachers until the Rev. G.E. Glasspool became the Methodist churchís first full-time pastor the following year.

The Methodist church erected its own building in 1909. Alterations and additions were made as the congregation grew. In 1923 the Lutheran church held services in the Methodist building. Upholding the ecumenical spirit of cooperation of Edenís early days. Mrs. Hixie Crump Potter, a charter member, turned the first spade of soil at the groundbreaking of a new church building in March 1948. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Easter Sunday,
Eden United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
2. Eden United Methodist Church
1949.

Church membership grew, and the congregation thrived. At the dawn of the 21st century, the congregation continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of worship and service.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12350.)
 
Location. 31° 13.103′ N, 99° 50.535′ W. Marker is in Eden, Texas, in Concho County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of E. Bryan Street and Smith Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eden TX 76837, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eden Church of Christ (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneers Rest Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eden (approx. ľ mile away); James Earl Rudder (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Ira C. Eaker (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Eden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement