Columbia in Marion County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Gov. Hugh L. White Mansion
Built between 1925 and 1927 by Jackson architect Claude H. Lindsley and furnished by Marshall Fields, this Spanish Colonial Revival-style mansion was the home of Governor Hugh Lawson White. White served two non-consecutive terms as governor of Mississippi, 1936-40 and 1952-56. In 1936 White introduced the Balance Agriculture with Industry program. This estate includes a formal Italian sunken garden, arbor and reflecting pool. The property was restored by Ann and Bill Simmons in 1986.
Erected 2012 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 14.984′ N, 89° 48.854′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Mississippi, in Marion County. Marker is on Broad Street west of Sumrall Road (State Highway 44), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia MS 39429, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hanging of Will Purvis (approx. 1.2 miles away); Temporary State Capital Ford House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mississippi Rural Center (approx. 4.1 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2018.