Columbia in Marion County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Mississippi Rural Center
The Mississippi Rural Center was dedicated on February 9, 1949, and established with a $100,000 gift from the Women's Society of Christian Services of the Methodist Church. Created to provide opportunities for African American families, the center offered religious, social, medical, and educational programs to the Community of Lampton and surrounding areas. It was first directed by Rev. Isaac C. and Athelda Pittman, both graduates of Alcorn A & M College.
Erected 2016 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 11.565′ N, 89° 47.876′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Mississippi, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Rural Center Road and State Highway 13, on the left when traveling south on Rural Center Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia MS 39429, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gov. Hugh L. White Mansion (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hanging of Will Purvis (approx. 4.6 miles away); Temporary State Capital First Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Ford House (approx. 5 miles away); Ford Home (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2018.