Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eden in Concho County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Eden

 
 
First Baptist Church of Eden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
1. First Baptist Church of Eden Marker
Inscription. The Rev. Zachariah Martin Wells of Menard, who had organized Baptist churches in San Saba, Kimble and Menard counties, led an organizational meeting for the Eden Baptist church in August 1886 in a community building erected as a school and ecumenical church. Charter members included his wife Nancy Wells, D.L. and Mary (Wells) Murray, William A. and Martha Ballard and Mr. and Mrs. Linam. The Rev. and Mrs. Wells lived in Eden for a short time, but moved to Lampasas County in 1888.

The Eden Church had a membership of 16 in 1891 and grew quickly thereafter. In May 1905 church trustees bought the land on this site from W.A. and M.J. Ballard. Many local citizens who were unaffiliated with the Baptist church contributed to the erection of a frame building. By 1906 the church had 75 members and it continued to grow. Additional wings and a belfry were added in 1912. Ministers performed baptisms at Brady Creek south of Eden at a water tank on the Ballard land as late as 1916.

Church organizations included the Ladies Aid Society, later called Women’s Missionary Union; Sunbeams, a children’s program; a young women’s association; Red Cross service organizations which were active during World War I; and a vacation bible school established in 1944. The congregation gave generously to finance a new building in 1947. The church organized
First Baptist Church of Eden image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
2. First Baptist Church of Eden
At northwest corner of Burleson St and Garden Ave
the Eden First Baptist Mexican mission in 1950. The First Baptist Church thrived through the following decades, and additions were made to the building in 1981 and 1989. At the dawn of the 21st century, First Baptist Church of Eden continues in the traditions of its founders.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12349.)
 
Location. 31° 13.076′ N, 99° 50.853′ W. Marker is in Eden, Texas, in Concho County. Marker is at the intersection of Burleson Street and Garden Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Burleson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Burleson St, Eden TX 76837, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eden Church of Christ (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eden (approx. ¼ mile away); James Earl Rudder (approx. ¼ mile away); General Ira C. Eaker (approx. ¼ mile away); Eden United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneers Rest Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement