Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of State and South Canal streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of State and South Canal streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Intersection of State and South Canal streets Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  
William Johnson, a freed person of color, was a barber, entrepreneur, and slave owner. He built this house in 1841 using materials salvaged after the 1840 tornado that damaged much of downtown. His diary details its construction and provides insight into business deals, politics, and entertainments like horse races and cockfights. His family lived upstairs, and one of his first-floor tenants was a dancing master. Johnson's descendants lived in the house until 1976. Today, the National Park Service maintains the property as a house museum and interpretive center that is one unit of Natchez National Historical Park.

The Mississippi Central Railroad Depot (behind you) sits on land bought from William Johnson's family in 1906. In the 1900s, the railroad played an important role in the Great Northern Migration of African Americans from the South. This exodus resulted from a combination of available factory jobs in the North, racial segregation in the South, boll weevil-infested cotton, and farm machines that displaced workers. In recent years, this station has housed shops and condominiums.

The Natchez & Hamburg Railroad

Intersection of State and South Canal streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Intersection of State and South Canal streets Marker
was planned in the early 1830s to run from Natchez to Jackson, but construction went only as far as Hamburg in Jefferson County. Natchez failed to develop railroad connections until 1882. This failure spared the city from siege or major battle. The Union Army instead targeted Vicksburg, which had both a river port and railroad connections. With limited resources, the Confederate Army left Natchez undefended and fortified only Vicksburg in this area.

At the end of World War II, an automobile dealership, Bluff City Motors, replaced almost two blocks of historic buildings on South Canal Street. The automobile proved to be the greatest threat to the historic character of Natchez as car dealerships, service stations, tire stores, and parking lots rapidly took the place of historic buildings.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.622′ N, 91° 24.365′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on State Street west of South Canal Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 State Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The William Johnson House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named William Johnson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of State and South Wall streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commercial Bank Building (about 500 feet away); Natchez (about 500 feet away); Richard N. Wright (about 500 feet away); Bluff Park - Playground for the City (about 500 feet away); Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2018.
Paid Advertisement