New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Paul's Chapel - the Building
Andrew Gauthier built St. Paulís Chapel in 1766 – a perfect example of Georgian Classis Revival-style architecture. Once surrounded by farmland and orchards, this remote “country church” (belonging to the Parish of Trinity Church) accommodated parishioners living on the outskirts of town. With the addition of the steeple in 1794, many considered St. Paulís the most elegant and imposing church edifice in the city. Today, the One World Trade Center tower rises behind St. Paulís.
Location. 40° 42.693′ N, 74° 0.583′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Broadway and Vesey Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Col. E.M. Bechet, Sieur de Rochefontaine (here, next to this marker); The Building (here, next to this marker); Majors Job Sumner and John Lucas (a few steps from this marker); The Churchyard (a few steps from this marker); The Fence (a few steps from this marker); Bell of Hope (a few steps from this marker); John Holt (a few steps from this marker); George Frederick Cooke (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. The marker is in the St. Paul's Chapel graveyard.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 4. submitted on April 2, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.