Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
During the Civil War occupation of Alexandria, Union forces commandeered the building and used it as a Chief Commissary Office of the U.S. Commissary Quartermaster. Knowing that northern troops would occupy the bank, the manager hid all the gold from the vault, and returned it to depositors once the war ended. The building served as a triage hospital for wounded soldiers after the first Battle of Bull Run.
After the war, the building became the home of the First Virginia Bank, then a warehouse for pharmaceutical wholesalers Leadbeater and Sons. In 1925, the Free Methodist Church of North America purchased the building and used it as a house of worship. The Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association bought the building in 1964, restored it to its current condition, and renamed it the Athenaeum. Today the Athenaeum is open to the public as a vibrant space for art exhibitions, dance and musical performances, poetry readings and other literary events.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Port City (a few steps from this marker); Historic Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813 (within shouting distance of this marker); Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. John Fitzgerald (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ramsay House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Ramsay House (about 300 feet away); War of 1812 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 1, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.