La Griega in Municipality of El Marqués, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
La comunidad de La Griega, se formó a partir del establecimiento de la hacienda asentada allí, la cual inicialmente se llama Telayupa. Posteriormente en el año de 1801, y debido a que la hacienda sufría inundaciones por encontrarse cerca del paso del agua tuvo que trasladarse al lugar donde actualmente se encuentra el casco. Una vez reestablecida la hacienda se determinó darle el nombre de Y GRIEGA, debido a su ubicación cercana a las calles con esta forma. Cuenta con 4181 habitantes, y está constituida como una de las 3 delegaciones del municipio de El Marqués.
The community of La Griega (The Greek) was formed from the establishment of a hacienda created near here, which was initially called Telayupa. Later, in 1801, and because the hacienda suffered from flooding because it was close to the water, the town had to be moved to this, its current location. Once the hacienda was reestablished, it was determined to give it the name Y GRIEGA (the letter ‘y’), due to its location close to the streets that form a ‘y’ (or a fork in the road). It has 4181 inhabitants, and is constituted as one of the three delegations of the municipality of El Marqués.
Erected by Gobierno
Location. 20° 40.006′ N, 100° 14.401′ W. Marker is in La Griega, Querétaro, in Municipality of El Marqués. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida Emiliano Zapata and Calle Ejido del Paraiso, on the left when traveling north on Avenida Emiliano Zapata. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Griega, Querétaro 76249, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emiliano Zapata (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Bicentennial of Mexican Independence (approx. 11.6 kilometers away); La Cañada (approx. 11.7 kilometers away); In Honor of the Workers of Hércules (approx. 14.3 kilometers away); The Royal Inland Road near Chichimequillas (approx. 14.4 kilometers away); The Parish of Saint Philip of Jesus (approx. 14.8 kilometers away); St. James the Pilgrim (approx. 15.4 kilometers away); Church of María de Guadalupe, Health to the Infirm (approx. 15.4 kilometers away).
Regarding La Griega. The history of this small town's name is easy enough to understand in Spanish, but needs a bit more explanation in English. The Spanish alphabet in most of Latin America has two letters that are pronounced similarly as to the letter 'e' in English (the 'ee' sound, like
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 2, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.