Garden City in Glasscock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created in 1887. Organized 1893, with Garden City county seat. Named for George W. Glasscock (1810-68), flatboating partner of Abraham Lincoln in Illinois. Came to Texas 1834 and fought 1835-36 in the War for Independence from Mexico. Built first Central Texas flour mill, Williamson County. Georgetown was named for him. Was in Texas Legislature, 1864-68.
Of the 254 Texas counties, 42 bear Indian, French or Spanish names.10 honor such colonizers as Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas". 12 were named for Washington, Clay, and other American patriots.
96 were named for men like Glasscock who fought in the Texas War for Independence (15 dying at the Alamo), signed the Declaration of Independence, or served as statesmen in the Republic of Texas.
23 have the names of frontiersmen and pioneers.
11 honor American statesmen who worked for the annexation of Texas; 10, leaders in Texas since statehood, including jurists, ministers, educators, historians, statesmen; and 36, men prominent in the Confederacy during the Civil War.
Midland and 8 others have geographical names. San Jacinto and Val Verde were named for battles. Live Oak and Orange for trees, and Mason for a fort.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number
Location. 31° 51.833′ N, 101° 28.827′ W. Marker is in Garden City, Texas, in Glasscock County. Marker is on East Currie Street (State Highway 158) east of Main Street (Ranch to Market Road 33), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the north side of the Glasscock County Courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 East Currie Street, Garden City TX 79739, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Glasscock County Courthouse and Jail (here, next to this marker).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Glasscock County, Texas
Also see . . . Glasscock County. Glasscock County was formally organized after an election was held in 1893. The 150 citizens who signed the petition for organization included a number of Mexican-American shepherds or pastores. The first white settler in what is now Glasscock County was L. S. McDowell, a sheep rancher, who moved into the area in 1883. In 1890 only 208 people lived in the county, but that year movement into the region began to be promoted by the Pecan, Colorado, and Concho Immigration Association, formed in 1890, of which Glasscock County (Submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.