Sterling City in Sterling County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sterling County Jail
This two-story jail building was constructed in 1912, twenty-one years after the organization of Sterling County. Built by the Southern Structural Steel Co., it is located on property deeded to the county by Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Stewart. Stone for the exterior was quarried locally. The interior includes a downstairs living area for the sheriff and seven cells on the upper floor. An addition to the rear was completed in the 1960s.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5114.)
Location. 31° 50.152′ N, 100° 59.294′ W. Marker is in Sterling City, Texas, in Sterling County. Marker is on Elm Street north of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are located on a pole at the northwest corner of the Sterling County Jail. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 4th Avenue, Sterling City TX 76951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sterling County (within shouting distance of this marker); State Hotel – First State Bank Concho, San Saba & Llano Valley Railroad Station (approx. half a mile away); Montvale (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Regarding Sterling County Jail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1980)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Sterling County Courthouse & Jail
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.