Sterling City in Sterling County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
State Hotel – First State Bank
Directors of the First State Bank of Sterling City, the town's earliest financial institution, had this two-story brick commercial building constructed in 1910. It originally housed the State Hotel and the banking operation, which was acquired in 1926 by the First National Bank. Other offices that have been located here include those of doctors, the telephone company, post office and city hall. E. B. Butler also operated a drugstore here from 1926 to the 1960s. Businessmen associated with the site have included many of the prominent early leaders of the community.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5100.)
Location. 31° 50.196′ N, 100° 59.332′ W. Marker is in Sterling City, Texas, in Sterling County. Marker is on 4th Street (U.S. 87) west of Elm Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on a pole near the entrance, along the sidewalk at the front of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 4th Street, Sterling City TX 76951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sterling County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sterling County (about 400 feet away); Montvale (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . . 1910 State Hotel.
In 1910, Sterling City was a community of friendly townspeople from ranching and the railroad. The bank was located in this original hotel building, which later housed two doctor offices for Dr. Everett and Dr. Swann. With the housing of the doctors came a pharmacy, confectionary and a hotel. Even a few restaurants have called this beautiful historic building home, such as The Landmark Café. The 1910 State Hotel opened May 1, 2013. (Submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.