Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guatemala City in Municipality of Guatemala, Guatemala
 

Ibargüen House

 
 
Ibargüen House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 19, 2018
1. Ibargüen House Marker
Inscription.
Casa Ibargüen
Tipo: Arquitectura Civil
Construcción: 1778 y 1898
Estilo: Historicista / Art Noveau

Conocida antiguamente como "Palacio de Beltranena", fue la residencia de Mariano Beltranena y Llanos, firmante del acta de la independencia y presidente interino de la República Federal Centroamericana.

En el interior de esta casa se realizó la "Celebración de Independencia en el Palacio de los Beltranena", acontecimiento que fue recreado en el tríptico que se exhibe en el Museo Nacional de Historia.

En 1898, la casa fue adquirida por el Banco de Occidente, entidad que convirtió una parte del inmueble en la primera agencia de ese banco en la Ciudad de Guatemala; pasó a ser propiedad de la familia Ibargüen en 1905.

Funcionó como extensión del Colegio La Preparatoria, convirtiéndose después en agencia del Banco Reformador. Es sede de la Dirección del Centro Histórico de la Municipalidad de Guatemala, desde el año 2009.

English:
Ibargüen House
Type: Civil Architecture
Construction: 1778 and 1898
Style: Historicist / Art Noveau

Formerly known as the "Palacio de Beltranena" [Beltranena Palace], it was the residence of Mariano Beltranena y Llanos, signatory of the Declaration of Independence and Acting President of the Central
Ibargüen House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 19, 2018
2. Ibargüen House and Marker
The marker is to the right of the main entrance to the house, seen here being read by two people.
American Federal Republic.

The “Celebración de Independencia en el Palacio de Beltranena” [Celebration of the Independence at the Beltranena Palace] took place in this house, event that was recreated in the triptych displayed at the “Museo Nacional de Historia” [National Museum of History].

In 1898 the house was acquired by “Banco de Occidente”, entity that turned part of the property into the first branch of that Bank in the City of Guatemala. It became the property of the Ibargüen family in 1905.

It also served as an extension of the “Colegio La Preparatoria” School, turning later into a branch of the “Banco Reformador”. It houses the “Dirección del Centro Histórico” [Office of the Historic Center] of the Guatemala City Council since the year 2009.
 
Erected by Municipalidad de Guatemala.
 
Location. 14° 38.238′ N, 90° 30.79′ W. Marker is in Guatemala City, Guatemala, in Municipality of Guatemala. Marker is on 7a Avenida just north of 12a Calle, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guatemala City, Guatemala 01001, Guatemala.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Antonio José de Irisarri (a few steps from this marker); Former Postal Service (a few steps from this marker); Herrera Luna House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pavón House (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Julio and Enrique de la Riva (about 240 meters away); Students Massacred on April 12, 1962 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dolores Bedoya de Molina (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Doctor Adolfo Mijangos López (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guatemala City.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement