Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Raymond in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Mark's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 5, 2015
1. St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. St. Mark’s was organized in 1837 by Rev. James McGregor Dale and construction of the sanctuary was completed in 1855. Following the battle of Raymond on May 12, 1863, the church was used as a hospital for Federal soldiers. The interior of the church was damaged during this time, and the pews were lost. After repairs had been made, St. Mark’s was consecrated by Bishop William Mercer Green on May 5, 1868.
 
Erected 2008 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Location. 32° 15.632′ N, 90° 25.433′ W. Marker is in Raymond, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Main Street (State Highway 467) and Oak Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 W. Main St, Raymond MS 39154, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hinds County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Raymond Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The McCoy Brothers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Guide to the Campaign Trail (about 500 feet
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 5, 2015
2. St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bledsoe's Battery (approx. 1.4 miles away); C.S. Gregg's Task Force (approx. 1.4 miles away); C.S. Bledsoe's Missouri Battery (3 Guns) (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Raymond.
 
Also see . . .  History of St. Mark's.
The church dates from the same time as most of the antebellum homes in the town. The church uses both Greek and Gothic Revival motifs. During the Civil War the church suffered a great deal of damage while being used as a hospital for Union soldiers. In 1866 Bishop Green stated…”the church was robbed of its benches during the time it was used as a hospital.” Blood stains are still visible on the old pine floors. (Submitted on April 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USArchitectureChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil
 
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 5, 2015
3. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
View to northwest across Oak Street
View to Southeast Along W. Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 5, 2015
4. View to Southeast Along W. Main Street
Marker at north corner of intersection
of W. Main Street (SH 467) and Oak Street
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 5, 2015
5. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
View to northeast across W. Main Street
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 31, 2013
6. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on April 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 7, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   6. submitted on April 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement