Alexandria Daily Town Talk / Old Courthouse Square
The newspaper's first edition appeared on March 17, 1883. It was the inspiration and work of two printers, Edgar Hammond McCormick and Henarie Morrison Hule. McCormick, the senior partner, was a native of St. Louis who married Hule's aunt, and they had no children.
Huie, his unmarried sister Laura, and half brothers, Rollo C. H. Groves, and A. Hunter Jarreau, became owners of the newspaper. It was incorporated as McCormick & Co. Inc. in 1924. Descendant family members including the Dellmons, Wilsons, Smiths, O'Quins and Hardins have been involved in the operation and management of the company.
The company, its newspaper and an allied printing subsidiary, have been located on this and adjoining pieces of property since 1887. news coverage focuses on Central Louisiana: carriers distribute the paper to subscribers throughout the area.
Persons employed on the newspaper's 100th anniversary are participants in a Commemorative Trust fund that will be shared March 17, 2033.
Rapides was one of the twelve original counties created when the Territory of Orleans was divided in 1805. Records are not available about early courthouses on this square, which was reserved for public use by the town's founder in a plat of February 1, 1805.
The last courthouse on this site, costing $75,000, was occupied in 1904. In 1940 a new, still existing courthouse was built on Murray Street. The jail was soon demolished; the old deteriorating courthouse was razed in 1957. The square was later acquired by McCormick & Co. for use by the Town Talk.
Erected 1991 by Alexandria Daily Town Talk.
Location. 31° 18.636′ N, 92° 26.547′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Main Street (Louisiana Route 1208-4) near Lee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 Main Street, Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The James Wade Bolton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alexander Fulton Park (about 500 feet away); Post-Civil War Alexandria
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2018.