Lecompte in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Lecompte
Lecompte began as a trading post on land claimed by Pascogoula Biloxi Indian Tribes living along Bayou Boeuf. Two area men, Fulton and Miller, traded extensively with the Indians who became indebted to them. To pay the debt the tribes agreed to sell their land to Fulton/Miller who resold the valuable land to planters (c. 1819). The post flourished and in 1900 with 1000 people was declared a village and a town in 1904 with 1500 people. Lecompte became a center of activity in south Rapides Parish with businesses and excellent medical services.
Erected 2006 by Town of Lecompte.
Location. 31° 5.274′ N, 92° 23.997′ W. Marker is in Lecompte, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Weems Avenue west of Bank Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 Weems Avenue, Lecompte LA 71346, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith's Landing (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Name Lecompte (approx. ¼ mile away); Lecompte High School (approx. ¼ mile away); Epps House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Epps House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Edwin Epps House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Oakland Hall (approx. 6.3 miles away); Headquarters 1st Calvary Division, Army of West La., May 8, 1864 (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lecompte.
More about this marker. Located in front of the Town clerk office.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2018.