Pineville in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Kolin Czech Colony
In 1908, the Bohemian Colonization Club was begun by J. Rosicky, publisher & editor of the Hospodář, to establish family centered Czech colonies. In 1912, Wesly Wosterchil, Frank Zumpfe, and J. Sobotka located 21,000 acres of cut-over pineland. LA Investments and Securities Co. bought the tract and assisted in the development of the colony. In the spring in 1914 about 100 families from throughout the U.S. settled in LIBUSE & KOLIN. More came later. Drawn together by common bonds, the Czechs built schools, farmer's unions, halls, cemeteries and retained cultural values. The community center was located near this site.
Erected by Louisiana Czech Heritage Association, Inc.
Location. 31° 16.69′ N, 92° 18.917′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Old Marksville Highway (State Highway 107) 0.2 miles south of Mercer Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5175 Old Marksville Highway, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Libuse Czech Colony (approx. 5.2 miles away); Kees Park (approx. 7 miles away); Alexandria Hall Louisiana College (approx. 7.4 miles away); In Honor and Memory of Louisiana College Students (approx. 7.4 miles away); 1100 Block Main Street (approx. 7.6 miles away); Alexandria National Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); 1000 Block Main Street (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 89 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2018.