Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knickerbocker in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Knickerbocker

 
 
Knickerbocker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
1. Knickerbocker Marker
Inscription. Attracted by irrigable land and the available water supply in Dove Creek, farmers, sheepmen, and cattlemen came to this area in the 1870s. First to arrive were the Baze brothers, who dug an irrigation ditch in 1875 to grow melons and hay for nearby Fort Concho. Others soon followed, including cattleman Joseph Schmidt, cotton farmer S.D. Arthur, and the Ryan, Martinez, Jaques, Villareal, Soto, Byler, Atkins, Beck, Duncan, Foster, and Etheridge families. In 1877 New Yorkers Morgan and Lawrence Grinnell, Joseph Tweedy, and J.B. Reynolds drove their sheep into the valley. They named their ranch headquarters after Washington Irving’s character Diedrich Knickerbocker.

The Knickerbocker post office was established in 1881. In 1889 the town was moved to a location just south of the original site in order to tap a new water supply. By 1890 the settlement had stores, hotels, saloons, blacksmith shops, two churches, and two schools.

As was typical of many West Texas rural areas, Knickerbocker declined with the advent of the automobile and improved road systems. Farmers left to find work in San Angelo (18 mi. NE). The settlers of Knickerbocker, however, left a rich heritage. Many of their descendants still live in the area.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Knickerbocker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
2. Knickerbocker Marker
2963.)
 
Location. 31° 16.192′ N, 100° 37.416′ W. Marker is in Knickerbocker, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2335 0.1 miles south of Knickerbocker Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knickerbocker TX 76939, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Knickerbocker Schools (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christoval (approx. 9.1 miles away); Christoval United Methodist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); Confederate Reunion Grounds (approx. 9.3 miles away); Christoval Baptist Church (approx. 9.3 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 9.3 miles away); John R. ("Sarge") Nasworthy (approx. 11.3 miles away); Site of Ben Ficklin (approx. 14.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Inscribed on the bottom of the marker border is the following: “Other pioneers included the Torres and Morales families”.
 
Also see . . .  Knickerbocker, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on April 9, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
View to North Along Farm-to-Market Road 2335 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
3. View to North Along Farm-to-Market Road 2335
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement