Niagara Falls in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Wm. B. Rankine
Operating Station of Canadian Niagara Power Company, Limited
Built in 1901-05, it was the first Powerhouse on the Canadian side to produce electrical energy for commercial use and sale outside Niagara Falls. Its location takes advantage of the natural flow of the river which formerly entered here to flow around Cedar Island, which no longer exists.
Location. 43° 4.572′ N, 79° 4.717′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Niagara Parkway 0.2 kilometers north of Fraser Hill, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the pedestrian walkway overlooking the falls, just east of Parking Lot #1. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6650 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse (about 210 meters away); José María Heredia (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Table Rock House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Tightrope Walker Nik Wallenda (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Niagara Park Greenhouses Toronto Power Generating Station (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Table Rock (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
More about this marker. Marker is a metal tablet, mounted near ground-level on a big rock near the path.
Also see . . .
1. The William B. Rankine Generating Station.
Niagara Falls, Ontario. Commissioned 1905. Decommissioned 2005.
The William B. Rankine Generating Station is the last intact example of the mammoth engineering projects that pioneered the industrial-scale production of electricity at Niagara Falls between 1893 and 1906. The Rankine facility was maintained in an operational shape until decommissioning in 2005, and remains in excellent condition. (Submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The hydroelectric tailrace of the William Birch Rankine Generating Station.
If you've viewed the falls from the Maid of the Mist or from the American side, you may have noticed the gaping concrete portal on the side of the gorge just downstream of the Horseshoe Falls, between the external Behind the Falls viewing platform and the powerhouse of the Ontario Generating Station. This (Submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Canadian Niagara Power William Birch Rankine Hydro-electric Generating Station.
The powerhouse is located 1,500 feet upriver from the Falls. Water is diverted from the river by a concrete weir that extends into the river. The water is channeled into the fore bay and enters the penstocks (10’ 2” diameter) and plunges down 136 feet to the turbine below. The rotating turbine turns a 40” diameter steel shaft connected to the generator. The generators rotate at 250 revolutions per minute with a peripheral speed of 110 miles per hour. The generators produce the electricity. The water after leaving the turbines empties into a 25 foot high – 2,200 foot long discharge tunnel and discharges into the lower Niagara River at the base of the Horseshoe Falls. On September 30th 1905, William Rankine died, three days after the third generator was put into operation. (Submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on April 10, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.