Lakewood School - 1928
Oswego's population was barely 1,200 when Lakewood School was built....by 1878 it had passed the 20,000 mark and the school was no longer capable of supporting the population. In 1979, the Lakewood Community Theatre, now dba Lakewood Center for the Arts raised $600,000 of private funding to purchase the building from the school district.
The main facade of this building has been carefully preserved by the Lakewood Center, while converting the interior to contemporary use for the performing and visual arts. This is the oldest public building in continuous use in Lake Oswego.
Erected 1997 by Oswego Heritage Council.
Location. 45° 24.812′ N, 122° 39.863′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is at the intersection of South State Street and Middlecrest Road, on the right when traveling south on South State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 368 South State Street, Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Lakewood School, Circa 1928 (City of Lake Oswego). Links to the school's Cultural Resources Inventory and Historic Resources Survey forms. (Submitted on April 9, 2018.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Last updated on April 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.