Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Original Site Of Providence Hospital
During the Civil War, while other hospitals in Washington, D.C., were filled with war casualties, Providence Hospital had the special mission of providing care primarily to the civilian population. Originally located in a private home, the hospital moved in 1866 to the more permanent quarters illustrated on this plaque.
On this site, Providence Hospital opened the area's first surgery amphitheater in 1882, inaugurated the first social service department in 1894, and opened the first contagious ward in 1898.
Providence Hospital moved to its present location at 12th and Varnum Streets, NE, in 1956.
Location. 38° 53.052′ N, 77° 0.171′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on D Street SE east of 2nd Street SE, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. On the grounds of Providence Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 D STreet SE, Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Legion Post 8 (about 400 feet away, Little Ebenezer (about 700 feet away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Ebenezer United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The Capitol in Flames (approx. ¼ mile away); Destroying the Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Life on the Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Categories. • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.