Winslow in Kennebec County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Fort Halifax Park
Native Americans inhabited this site at the confluence of the Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers from at least 5000 years ago, until 1692. A pilgrim trading post was also located on this site in the 1650s.
Located within Fort Halifax Park is the oldest blockhouse in the United States, the last remnant of historic Fort Halifax. Built in 1754, the fort was garrisoned by Colonial Troops and their families for over a decade. During the Revolutionary War, the fort served as a stop on Benedict Arnold’s expedition to Quebec. It also hosted famous visitors including Aaron Burr, Chief Joseph Orono, and Paul Revere. By 1798 all that remained of Fort Halifax was the lone blockhouse which had fallen into disrepair. Through grants and generous donations, the Fort Halifax Blockhouse was restored and Fort Halifax Park was created and improved.
Engraved in this granite monument and the ground markers located within the park are the names of those whose financial contributions have helped implement the Fort Halifax Park Concept Master Plan adopted by the Winslow Town Council on July 11, 2011.
Land & Water Conservation Fund, Bangor Savings Bank, Somerset Stone and Stove
in memory of Arthur G. Bolduc, Ken and Deb Lavoie, Sappi North America
Location. 44° 32.383′ N, 69° 37.725′ W. Marker is in Winslow, Maine, in Kennebec County. Marker can be reached from Halifax Street (U.S. 201) 0.2 miles north of China Road (Maine Route 137). Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Halifax National Historic Site, near north end of the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Waterville ME 04901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Halifax (within shouting distance of this marker); Immigration (approx. half a mile away); Waterville Maine WWI Marker (approx. 0.8 miles away); Waterville Maine Veteran's Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Waterville Maine Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Heritage of the Kennebec River (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Heritage of the Kennebec River (approx. 3.7 miles away); VFW 6924 Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large, new, polished granite slab with engraved inscription.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Halifax National Historic Site
Also see . . . History of Fort Halifax Park.
Fort Halifax was built in two phases. A seven-week construction project led by Major General Edward Winslow, the namesake of the town, built a massive fortress with a big square blockhouse and four barracks inside. The fort’s new commander, Captain William Lithgow, overhauled Fort Halifax, creating a smaller more defensible structure. It included a second blockhouse, which you can still see today in the park. (Submitted on April 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.