First Baptist Church of Orange
In 1879 the Rev. Andrew Peddy helped organize this congregation with 18 charter members. They met in the frame Orange County courthouse and were served for a time by missionary preachers. Sarah A. Finch and Anna and L. L. Bettis deeded a lot in this block to the congregation in 1883. The following year a 40' X 60' meetinghouse was erected.
In 1898, during the ministry of the Rev. J. T. Stanton, the congregation adopted the name "Green Avenue Baptist Church". This membership merged in 1909 with the eighth street baptist church to become "The First Baptist Church of Orange".
Under the leadership of the Rev. J. Stuart Pearce, more land was acquired in 1913 and this brick sanctuary was in use by 1915. J. G. McMullen gave additional property for a new education building in 1939. As the congregation grew under the pastorate of Dr. Cooper Waters, additional land was purchased, and a second education building was constructed in 1952. The Viola McCorquodale building and fellowship hall were erected in 1958.
This fellowship has helped establish the following Baptist churches: Cove, Little Cypress, Brownwood, Riverside, and Maplecrest
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11479.)
Location. 30° 5.595′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.H. Stark House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ever Changing Landscapes (about 400 feet away); William Henry Stark (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (about 600 feet away); History of Rotary International (about 600 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher (about 600 feet away); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2018.