The Woman's Club of Orange
Cultural opportunities were rare for women in the Orange Community at the end of the 19th century. On October 18, 1893, a small group of women met to form "The Ladies' Shakespeare Club" for the study of Shakespeare, history and literature in general. The name was later changed to "The Ladies' Reading Club."
In 1903 the club became part of the General Federation of Womens' Clubs, giving members the support and strength of many women. The Federation's large membership transformed common concerns of public interest into projects and programs of action by volunteer club women.
The Woman's Club organized the first library in Orange, beginning with a magazine exchange at the County Courthouse. In 1920 the members gave a tea, inviting the public to attend and to donate a book to the library. These were housed in an old Chamber of Commerce building, in 1922 the Club was renamed "The Woman's Club".
A local dentist and his wife sold a lot to The Woman's Club in 1923. On this land the Woman's Club building was erected. The books were relocated to this site and the first Orange Public Library was opened within the Women's Club building. In 1941 members added a room to the south side with a separate entrance for the library. By 1957, the enlarged library was moved into the recently vacated Post Office building, and then to its own home at Fifth and Main Street in 1977.
The Woman's Club building was renovated in 1989. At the beginning of the 21st century, the Woman's Club of Orange continues in the traditions of its founders.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12134.)
Location. 30° 5.713′ N, 93° 44.058′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Fifth Street and West Pine Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Fifth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Orange (about 700 feet away); Cox House (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.H. Stark House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ever Changing Landscapes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Rotary International (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2018.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clearer photo of marker. • Can you help?