W.H. Stark House
Eastlake detailing decorates the porches and gables of this ornate Queen Anne style residence, built in 1893-94 for William Henry (1851-1936)and Miriam (Lutcher)(1859-1936) Stark. A financial and industrial pioneer, Stark headed several lumber and petroleum companies. His son H.J. Lutcher Stark (1887-1965) was noted for his cultural and educational philanthropies. Both men served as regents of the University of Texas. The Nelda C and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation restored the house.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1976
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11519.)
Location. 30° 5.57′ N, 93° 44.116′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Sixth Street near West Green Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Main Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Henry Stark (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Orange (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Last updated on April 13, 2018, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2018.