Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Thayer's White Mountain Hotel
In 1843, Henry Lowell Thayer (1817-1892), owner of an adjacent general store, secured this lot for a hotel. By 1850, local builders Andrew Scott and Jonathan Nurs had created an eclectic masterpiece that set a standard of scale and style for 19th century Main Street architecture. The entry portico has Italian-style balconies braced by scroll consoles. A fluted Doric colonnade supports a Greek Revival pediment with a Gothic Revival window. The roof, topped by a lantern-style, Italian cupola, is punctuated by formal dormers that echo the Classical façade. With running water and a spiral staircase, Thayer’s was both modern and elegant. It typified the transitional hostelries that displaced rustic taverns and presaged the region’s Grand Hotels. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Location. 44° 18.415′ N, 71° 46.463′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 302) east of Ammonoosuc Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the front wall of the subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Host to History (here, next to this marker); A Legendary Landmark (here, next to this marker); Parker's Marketplace (a few steps from this marker); Littleton Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Bugbee Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Littleton Diner (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Regarding Thayer's White Mountain Hotel. National Register of Historic Places (1982)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . .
1. Thayers Inn - Nearly 175 Years of History.
“Dad” Thayer, as he came to be known, built his success on the quality of service he offered “drummers” (salesmen) and other travelers to the area. Lackeys would deliver firewood for the fireplace or Franklin stove in order to heat the room, a candle to provide light, a pitcher of water for washing as well as the guest’s own personal “thunder-jug”. Bed sheets were turned down just before the guest retired for the evening and heated stones were placed between the covers to warm the bed. (Submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Historic Map - Littleton, NH - 1883.
The map, looking east, includes labeled roads, buildings, bridges, waterways and railroad route. It features inset illustrations of Oak Hill House and Thayer’s Hotel. Littleton’s population is noted as 3,300. (Submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4. submitted on April 15, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.