Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
In 1850, merchant Fry Gile (1819-1898) built a block here. When he moved to Kansas in 1854, it was purchased by retailer Nathan McCoy (1813-1886). The McCoy Block housed studios for the Kilburn Stereoscopic View Factory (1860-68) and in 1879 for White Mountains landscape artist Edward Hill (1843-1923). Acquired by grocers James and William Harrington in 1897, it was razed and replaced by this Second Renaissance Revival building, with a contrasting style on each level – the first to emulate the three-story brick theme set by Tilton’s 1881 block. It has been owned by attorney John B. Eames since 1984.
Location. 44° 18.375′ N, 71° 46.282′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 302) west of Mill Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building. Marker is mounted on the right leg of the brick arch at the front center of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eames Building (a few steps from this marker); Jax Jr. Cinemas (a few steps from this marker); Tilton's Opera Block Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton Stamp & Coin Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Chutter Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Rounsevel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Brackett Block (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . . Harrington Block.
Built by James and William Harrington in 1897 for their grocery market. The building features a different style façade for each story with massive granite quoins on the corners and around the windows. Today the building is occupied by long time tenant, Topic of the Town Restaurant. (Submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.