Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Main Street’s oldest surviving commercial building was built of village-hewn timber in 1833 by the Brackett brothers. William (1785-1859) and Aaron B. (1797-1868) traders in general merchandise. An upstairs hall hosted meetings, notably in 1848, the celebration of the town’s first public Catholic Mass. In the 1890s, a flat roof replaced the original peaked roof and a third elevation was contrived. In the 1900s, grocery and hardware stores prospered beneath this eclectic façade that alludes to its Italianate and Queen Anne neighbors.
Location. 44° 18.392′ N, 71° 46.36′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 302) and Westhill Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque mounted above eye-level directly on the subject building. Marker is located on the west side of the building, at the northwest corner, facing Westhill Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 57 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rounsevel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Chutter Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Bugbee Block Eames Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Littleton Public Library (about 300 feet away); Harrington Block (about 400 feet away); Jax Jr. Cinemas (about 400 feet away); Parker's Marketplace (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . . Brackett Block.
The third floor was added around 1900, at which time the fancy Italianate façade appeared on the upper stories. When the structure was new, it was one of the few meeting places that was neither a tavern nor affiliated with a religious denomination. Littleton’s first public Catholic Mass was celebrated here in 1848, and it was one place where the Methodists met before they built their church in 1850. The village’s first demonstration of Morse’s telegraph was presented here in 1845. (Submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.