Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
When erected in 1889, this building housed the Littleton Public Library and the Christian Science Society, in which R.D. Rounsevel was prominent. Its tenants included diverse retailers, insurance offices, the Republic-Journal newspaper, and photography studios. Photographer Julia Eaton made a noted portrait of poet Robert Frost here. A native of Charlestown, Royal Dearborn Rounsevel (1830-1907) came to Littleton in 1851. He traded timberland and owned a hotel in Carroll, while operating a tannery, farm and merchandising ventures in Littleton. This wood-frame structure survived fires in 1924 and 1949 that leveled its neighbors to the east.
Location. 44° 18.396′ N, 71° 46.327′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 302) and Jackson Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building. Marker is mounted on the west (left) side of building front wall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chutter Block (a few steps from this marker); Brackett Block (within Eames Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jax Jr. Cinemas (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrington Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Tilton's Opera Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); Bugbee Block (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . . The Rounsevel Building.
From 1868 until the late 1880s, the lot at the corner of Jackson and Main, now occupied by the Rounsevel Building, was a small park graced by the town’s first bandstand. It was dismantled when the Littleton Coronet Band became too large for the structure. When the unimposing Rounsevel building was constructed in 1889, it was praiseworthy for its spacious quarters. It enlivened the unpaved thoroughfare and harmonized with its wood-frame boxy neighbors. But soon it appeared old fashioned, as its old neighbors disappeared in a surge (Submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.