Erie in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erie Land Lighthouse: “First on the Great Lakes”
The current 49-foot tall sandstone tower was constructed in 1866-67 with a massive foundation consisting of eight courses of solid oak timbers and a ton of crushed limestone covered with cement. A 3rd order fixed Fresnel Lens from Paris, France, was installed. It cast a white beam 17 miles into Lake Erie.
Officially known before 1870 as the Presque Isle Light Station, its name was changed to the Erie Light Station due to construction of a lighthouse on Presque Isle. It came to be known locally as the land lighthouse. The beacon served until 1899, when it was permanently extinguished. Its lantern room was transferred to the Marblehead Lighthouse in Ohio where it remains today.
Location. 42° 8.644′ N, 80° 3.743′ W. Marker is in Erie, Pennsylvania, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from Lakefront Drive east of Lighthouse Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 Lakefront Drive, Erie PA 16507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Erie's Maritime Heritage (here, next to this marker); Erie Land Lighthouse Keepers (here, next to this marker); The North Pier Head Light (here, next to this marker); The Native Legend of Presque Isle: "Sheltering Arm of the Great Spirit" (here, next to this marker); Erie Land Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Erie's Land Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); James N. Thompson Land Lighthouse Park (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Erie Land Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Erie.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.