First United Methodist Church of Houston
As Houston grew, the congregation prospered, and plans were developed to build a new church. In 1907, the Texas Avenue property was sold, and First Methodist Episcopal Church South opened its doors in 1910 at the corner of Main and Clay streets. In 1939, the name changed to First Methodist Church and in 1968 to First United Methodist Church. In 1992, the congregation approved a plan to establish a second campus. The Westchase Congregation began worship in 1993 and opened a worship center in 1999.
This congregationís commitment to local, national and worldwide programs and ministries led it to help start new churches and establish non-profit groups, including Wesley Community Center, Bluebird Circle, Quillian Memorial Center, Clarewood House, Wesley Academy and Christian Alliance. Together with the Texas Conference, the church helped to establish the Methodist Hospital. The church has furthered its outreach through televised worship services since 1955.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15922.)
Location. 29° 45.256′ N, 95° 22.053′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1320 South Main Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1,000 Houstonians Join the Navy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Julia Ideson Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Houston Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomas William House, Jr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sam Houston Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nichols-Rice-Cherry House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Houston City, Republic of Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.