Ozona's First Water Well
At first meeting of Crockett County Commissioners Court, July 22, 1891, under a liveoak near the well, the sheriff was instructed to operate the city water works. At the time, tents housed most homes and stores, and water was hauled from city well--often by children using toy wagons. In a few years homes had private wells and windmills. A modern system piped water throughout the city in the early 1900s.
Erected 1971 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3897.)
Location. 30° 42.682′ N, 101° 12.033′ W. Marker is in Ozona, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker is on Avenue D. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the First Baptist Church across the street from the Northeast corner of the Town Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Avenue D, Ozona TX 76943, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crockett County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Ozona Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Crockett County Courthouse
Categories. • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on May 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.