Augusta in Woodruff County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Woodruﬀ County Courthouse
Thomas Hough, founder of Augusta in 1848 built his home on this location before the Civil War. During the Federal occupation Gen. Frederick Steele headquartered here. Woodruff County was created in 1861, bought the Hough house in 1870 and used it as a courthouse until 1901. The present courthouse was built in 1902 on part of its foundation and used its entire north wall.
On Dec 22, 1982, the U.S. Department, of Interior placed it on The National Registry of Historic Places.
Erected 1998 by the Augusta Sesquicentennial Commission.
Location. 35° 17.262′ N, 91° 21.897′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Arkansas, in Woodruff County. Marker is on North 3rd Street north of Spruce Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North 3rd Street, Augusta AR 72006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodruff County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodruff County Presbyterian Church Augusta Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chickasaw Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Augusta (approx. 0.4 miles away); "It Was a Hard Little Fight" (approx. 4.8 miles away); Action at Fitzhugh's Woods (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Woodruff County Courthouse. (Submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.