The Act of 1794
The Act of 1794
In the name of the United States of America: It is hereby declared that one complete township or tract of land, of six miles square, to be located with the approbation of the governor, for the time being, of the territory northwest of the river Ohio, and in the manner, and within the term of five years aforesaid, as nearly as may be, the center of the tract of land herein before granted, hath been and is granted and shall be holden in trust, to and for the sole and exclusive intent and purpose of erecting and establishing therein an academy and other public schools and seminaries of learning, and endowing and supporting the same, and to for no other use, intent or purpose whatever.
by the president (signature G Washington)
Secretary of State
This tablet has been placed by the
Ohio Daughters of the American Revolution
to commemorate the Bicentennial Anniversary of
the birth of George Washington.
Erected 1932 by Ohio Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 30.549′ N, 84°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stanton's "Magnificent Dwelling" / Elizabeth Cady Stanton (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Holmes McGuffey House (about 800 feet away); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother of Fraternities (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alpha Delta Phi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Additional keywords. DAR
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.