Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Juan de los Lagos in Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, Mexico — The Pacific Coast (and Central Highlands)
 

Chapel of the First Miracle

 
 
Chapel of the First Miracle Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, April 5, 2018
1. Chapel of the First Miracle Marker
Inscription.  
Capilla del Primer Milagro
Aquí por los años de mil quinientos treinta se construyó la primer ermita, donde estuviera en el incognito la imagen de la virgin de San Juan, aquí donde emergió con prodigio en 1623 en el llamado primer milagro, sobre el pecho de la cirquerita que muriera al caer sobre dagas de un trapecio.

Aquí donde llegara Fray miguel de Bolonia dejara la imagen en su catequesis precisamente, la ermita y hospital de la Purísima Concepción, “Una ermita de adobe y paja.”

Multiplicado el culto luego aquel milagro fue necesario otro templo por los años de 1640, no obstante siendo este segundo de mala calidad y ruinoso se determinó revoarlo una vez más; los peregrinos se encargaron de derribarlo y llevaban tierra a sus destinos como reliquia. Cuando ya no hubo más restos de estos adobes se comenzaron elaborar panecillos de tierra, esto por los años de 1653 cuando su hubo terminado este templo que ahora vemos; Así Como encontramos hoy esta capilla de cantera local.

Edificada en el siglo XVIII, es una magnífica construcción de un solo cuerpo que ostenta magnífica columnas corintias
Chapel of the First Miracle Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, April 5, 2018
2. Chapel of the First Miracle Marker
The marker is partially visible behind the ornate lamppost in front of the temple.
y una decoración de relieves vegetales.

La portada presenta un arco de medio punto enmarcado, en cantera. En su parte superior presenta nichos que contienen esculturas religiosas.

En el anexo a la Capilla, se encuentra la fachada imponente del Ex hospital, en cuya portada se destacan claramente un dintel y clave en relieve. Buen es saber que esta fue la primer construcción de cal y canto (cantera labrada y cal.) de esta ciudad que ahora es San Juan de los Lagos Jalisco, y el punto de partida de toda una cultura religiosa en el occidente de México.

English translation:
Chapel of the First Miracle
The town’s first chapel was built here by 1530. Friar Miguel de Bolonia left the image of the Virgin here, in what was then the Hermitage and Hospital of the Most Pure Conception, “a hermitage of adobe and straw.” The image was relatively unknown until 1623 when it was involved in the so-called first miracle, placed on the chest of the young circus performer that had died after her act of swinging on a trapeze over daggers had gone wrong.

As devotion to the image grew, by 1640 it was necessary to build another temple. Nevertheless, this second temple was poorly built and it was decided that it had to be torn down. This was done by allowing pilgrims to carry away the adobe bricks as relics. By 1653 there
Chapel of the First Miracle image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, April 5, 2018
3. Chapel of the First Miracle
were no more bricks remaining, and the construction of the current temple of quarried stone was completed.

Finished in the 18th century, it is a magnificent construction of a single body that boasts magnificent Corinthian columns and a decoration of reliefs inspired by plants and vegetation.

The façade includes a semicircular arch framed in quarried stone. In its upper part it has niches containing religious sculptures.

In the annex to the Chapel, there is the imposing façade of the former hospital, whose doorway clearly shows a lintel and key in relief. This was the first construction of quarried stone and lime mortar in this city, now known as San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, and the starting point of an entire religious culture in western Mexico.
 
Erected by Secretaría de Turismo del Estado de Jalisco.
 
Location. 21° 14.679′ N, 102° 20.21′ W. Marker is in San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, in Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos. Marker is on Calle Luis Moreno just east of Calle Primavera, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco 47000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temple of the Third Order (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mesón de la Virgen (about 210 meters away); Pope John Paul II's Visit to San Juan de Lagos (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Cathedral Basilica of San Juan de los Lagos (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Temple of the Blood of Christ (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Sanctuary of Saint Pedro Esqueda (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Pope John Paul II's Visit to Jalostotitlán (approx. 16 kilometers away); Alfredo R. Placencia (approx. 16.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Juan de los Lagos.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement