Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Plaza Iglesia Parroquial
(Parish Church Square)
In April 1846, the Methodist Episcopal Church petitioned the town board of trustees for a church site, and a log church was built on the northeast corner of the square. the Methodists relocated to Main Street, 1853.
The southeast corner of the square was granted to the Catholic Church in 1853, and the first of four Catholic churches was built here.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9681.)
Location. 30° 3.529′ N, 94° 47.918′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Sam Houston Street west of Milam Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the south side of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 Milam Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seven Pines (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plaza Constitucional (about 500 feet away); Ott Hotel (about 600 feet away); James B. Woods (about 600 feet away); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (about 700 feet away); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (about 700 feet away); Casa Consistatorial (Courthouse Square) (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?