Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In May 1831, an ayuntamiento (city council) was elected; also the first alcalde (mayor), Hugh B. Johnston. This city government was dissolved that same year by Juan D. Bradburn, the garrison commander of Anahuac.
The north portion of present city hall was constructed, 1939; the south part, 1959.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9680.)
Location. 30° 3.561′ N, 94° 47.832′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Travis Street south of Trinity Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Liberty City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1829 Sam Houston Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain William M. Logan (about 300 feet away); Liberty County (about 400 feet away); Sam Houston's Law Office (about 500 feet away); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (about 500 feet away); Sam Houston in Liberty County (about 500 feet away); Commercial Corner (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?