Marion in Crittenden County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
—Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Erected by the City of Marion.
Location. 35° 12.863′ N, 90° 11.735′ W. Marker is in Marion, Arkansas, in Crittenden County. Marker is on Military Road east of Cypress Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Military Road, Marion AR 72364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crittenden Bank & Trust Company (a few steps from this marker); Rhodes Storefronts (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Soldier's Memorial (about 500 feet away); Crittenden County Health Department (about 600 feet away); a different Confederate Soldier's Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Loss of the Sultana (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sultana Tragedy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military Road (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Regarding Marion Hotel. The first “inn” bearing the name of Marion Hotel was built and operated by Peter Berry, who came to Crittenden County in the early 1830’s from Kentucky. Berry lived briefly at Hopefield, and then moved to Marion. His hotel was on the north side of Military Road near the steamboat landing.
A big dance was given to celebrate the opening of the hotel prompted a hairdresser coming from Memphis to provide the latest hairdos for the ladies who would be attending. The hotel’s dining room was a favorite spot for those who chose to dine out. The Hotel was the location for most important social events and there are stories of Mayor Crump of Memphis frequently visiting the hotel for these events. The large second floor lobby was used for weekly social events.
Electricity, telephones and plumbing was not added until the 1920’s. The building had three apartments on the west side, one of which housed G. T. Treadgill’s barber shop and pool hall, one apartment and a dormitory, and the dining room were on the east side. The hotel, which offered a private room for $40 a month or a room for two for $37.50 a month, became the home for most Marion teachers in the 1920’s and 1930’s.
At one time, the first floor east wing of the first floor was used as a dining room with the remaining areas on the first floor used as a drug store, post office, doctor’s office. In the mid-forties, the rooms were converted into apartments.
Also see . . . Map of the Courthouse Walking Trail. (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.