Eugene in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Applegate Trail
Southern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous “last leg” of the Oregon Trail down the treacherous Columbia River.
The first emigrants to trek the new “Southern Road” left with the trailblazers from Fort Hall in early August 1846. With Levi Scott acting as guide, while Jesse Applegate traveled ahead to mark the route, the hardy emigrants blazed a wagon trail through nearly 500 miles of wilderness arriving in the upper Willamette Valley in November. Emigrant travel continued along the Applegate Trail in later years and contributed greatly to the settlement of southern Oregon and the Willamette Valley.
The Applegate Trail spit into two routes in the northern Umpqua Valley. The eastern route, established in 1846 by Jesse Applegate, Levi Scott, Moses “Black” Harris and twelve others from Polk County, Passed through Cottage Grove, Creswell, Eugene, and Junction City—It is approximated today by River Road and Highway 99. The western route, an ancient
Lane County’s Applegate Trails
The Applegate Trail evolved into two separate routes in Lane County. The western route, originally a trappers’ trail, followed the Long Tom River and eventually became the preferred route of the Applegate Trail. The eastern route, however, carried the first Applegate Trail emigrants. This route was established in 1846 by Levi Scott, Moses “Black” Harris, Cornelius Gilliam and others from Polk county. Leaving the old trappers’ trail, the explorers cut across to what are today Eugene and Cottage Grove. They managed to find a new route across the Calapooya Mountains and into the Umpqua Watershed before the expedition collapsed. Returning for reinforcements, Jesse Applegate assumed leadership and together with fourteen others successfully linked the route with the main California Trail. The top of nearby Skinner Butte provides an excellent view of the explorers’ path through this region.
….we traveled along the base of the Calapooias, our course being nearly southeast, passing near a
Recollections of 1846
Erected by Applegate Trail Coalition.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Applegate Trail marker series.
Location. 44° 3.644′ N, 123° 5.838′ W. Marker is in Eugene, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is at the intersection of Cheshire Ave and N Lincoln St, on the right when traveling west on Cheshire Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eugene OR 97401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Genesis of a City (a few steps from this marker); Eugene Skinner Settled Here in 1846 (a few steps from this marker); Eugene Skinner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Cabin in Eugene (approx. ¼ mile away); Shelton – McMurphey House A.W. and Amanda Patterson Home (approx. 1.2 miles away); Patterson Home Site / Animal House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Collier House (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eugene.
More about this marker. These interpretive displays are two of four located in front of the Eugene Skinner replica cabin within Skinner Butte Park.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.