Louisiana native John Joshua Ott (1867-1939) and his wife Sallie Wiggins Ott (1874-1963) of San Jacinto County hired contractor Elza Burch to build the hotel. Completed in late 1928 adjacent to the Texas & New Orleans Railroad tracks and very near the depot, the Ott Hotel was well positioned to serve train passengers and was known as a drummer hotel, named for the traveling salesmen of the day. Its location was also ideally suited for automobile tourists on the Old Spanish Trail (later State Highway 3 and U.S. Highway 90), as well as those with business in the nearby county courthouse.
The hotel's original design included 50 rooms in an L-shaped building footprint, with community baths in the middle of the long hall. Dining room and parlor space was later converted into additional rooms. A sign painted on the bricks on the side along the railroad attracted new arrivals. This two-story brick building features
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2005
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13537.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Old Spanish National Trail marker series.
Location. 30° 3.475′ N, 94° 47.831′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Travis Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 Travis Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James B. Woods (here, next to this marker); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston's Law Office (about 400 feet away); Sam Houston in Liberty County (about 500 feet away); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (about 500 feet away); Plaza Constitucional (about 500 feet away); Plaza de Mercado (about 500 feet away); Captain William M. Logan (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.