Shelton Public Library and Town Hall
427 West Railroad Avenue
The building was constructed in 1914 and is an L-shaped Georgian Revival style building. The building embodies distinctive architectural characteristics of a design by Fredrick Heath who became one of Washington States most prominent architects in the early part of this century, designing buildings from Alaska to Los Angeles.
The building was built in memory of Sol G. Simpson and given to the people of Shelton by Simpson's widow, Mary Garrard Simpson (nicknamed Tollie)
The Building was placed on the Shelton Historic Register in April of 1995.
Location. 47° 12.775′ N, 123° 6.291′ W. Marker is in Shelton, Washington, in Mason County. Marker is on South 5th Avenue south of West Railroad Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is a painted metal plaque, mounted waist-high in a wooden frame, on a cement pedestal, by the sidewalk, just left of building's South 5th Street entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 427 West Railroad Avenue, Shelton WA 98584, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Simpson Logging Company (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of David Shelton First Cabin 1854 (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Regarding Shelton Public Library and Town Hall. National Register of Historic Places (1983). Building is now serving as the Mason County Historical Society Museum.
Also see . . .
1. Shelton Public Library and Town Hall.
Shelton Library, built in 1914 to house both the library and town hall, was donated to the town by the Mary Garrard Simpson (b. 1853), widow of Simpson Logging Company founder Sol Simpson, to give Shelton's single men an alternative activity to that of frequenting the town's saloons and brothels. Frederick Heath (1861-1953), whose other work included the Paradise Inn on Mount Rainier and the Stadium Bowl in Tacoma, designed the building. (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Frederick H. Heath.
Heath’s practice lasted just short of sixty years in Tacoma and his monumental works can still be seen today across the Northwest. He served as School Architect for the Tacoma School District from 1903 through 1920, and many of his school buildings are still in use throughout the city. His firm’s work exhibited a broad spectrum of building types and scales including residential, commercial, ecumenical, park structures, hospitals and public buildings. (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Frederick Heath (architect). Some of Heath's other completed projects:
Pythian Temple (Tacoma, Washington) (1906)
Stadium High School, 111 N E St, Tacoma (1906)
Tacoma Grocery Co. building, 2108-12 Pacific Avenue (1906)
Morris-Miller Co. building, 2102-06 Pacific Avenue (1906)
Bowes Building 100 South 9th Street, Tacoma (1907)
McKinley Elementary School at 3702 McKinley Ave. (1908)
Barlow Annex at 3012 S. 59th St. (South Tacoma) (1910)
Fern Hill Elementary at 8442 S. Park (South Tacoma) (1911)
Central School at 601 South 8th Street (New Tacoma) (1912)
Oakland Alternative High School at 3319 South Adams Street (South End) (1912)
Park Avenue School at 6701 S. Park Ave. (South End) (1912)
Lincoln High School, 701 South 37th Street, Tacoma (1913)
National Realty Building Tacoma (1911) (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.