Shelton in Mason County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Site of David Shelton First Cabin 1854
Bicentennial Year 1976
Fred B. Wivell Post No.31
Erected 1976 by Fred B. Wivell Post No.31 American Legion.
Location. 47° 12.832′ N, 123° 6.044′ W. Marker is in Shelton, Washington, in Mason County. Marker is on West Franklin Street west of North 1st Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is a large, engraved stone tablet, mounted at eye-level on a tall sign pole & stand, beside the Central Mason Fire Station main front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 West Franklin Street, Shelton WA 98584, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Simpson Logging Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shelton Public Library and Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marking the End of the Oregon Trail 1844 (approx. 15.1 miles away); John Rankin Rogers (approx. 15.1 miles away); Washington Women Win the Vote (approx. 15.1 miles away); Marathon Park (approx. 15.1 miles away); Washington's State Capitol Design (approx. 15.3 miles away); The First William Winlock Miller High School (approx. 15.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shelton.
Also see . . .
1. One of the Best Known of the Pioneers Passes Away.
(clipping from Tacoma Daily News, February 16, 1897, upon David Shelton's death)
In 1849 David Shelton was one of a party which went to the American River gold fields in California, and returned with a bag of dust. In the latter part of 1851 he disposed of his place and in company with B.F. Pettygrove, L. Hastings, and others they bought the small 75-ton schooner Mary Taylor, and came around to Puget Sound. He filed on 640 acres of donation for himself and wife, going to the land office then located at Oregon City. In 1852, Thurston County was organized, David Shelton being one of the first Board of County Commissioners. David Shelton was a member of the first territorial legislature, and one of his first acts was the severing of Sawamish County from Thurston, and this was afterwards changed to Mason County in honor of the first territorial secretary. (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Exploration and Settlement.
Missouri natives David Shelton (1812-1897) and Tillman Shelton chose a spot for David’s 640-acre donation land claim in the Cota Valley at the head of the inlet. A clear stream emptied into the salt water between two bluffs and offered open ground for cultivation. The Sawamish people already had a settlement there, but there was apparently enough room for Shelton and his field of rye. (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Shelton, Washington.
Shelton is the county seat of Mason County, Washington, United States. Shelton is the westernmost city on Puget Sound. Shelton was officially incorporated in 1890. The city was named after David Shelton, a delegate to the first territorial legislature. (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.