Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Henry in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Henry, Ohio

 
 
Saint Henry, Ohio History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen W. Bernard, April 19, 2018
1. Saint Henry, Ohio History Marker
Inscription. In July, 1837, Henry Romer platted the village of St. Henry, Ohio. The Romer (Roemer), Bruns, Beckman, Wimmers, Borgelt, Athmer, Wendell, Grievenkamp, Huelsmann, Brockmann, and Hemmelgarnn families were among those early settlers of the 1830ís and the 1840ís. The Miami and Erie Canal provided transportation, between the Ohio River and Mercer County, for mannnnnnnny early German settlers. In December 1883, the Cincinnati and Jackson Railroad reached St. Henry, and provided a more effective method for transporting products to market than the canal. By 1884, over twenty businesses existed. From the early 1840ís to the present, the community has supported the St. Henry Catholic Church, and an excellent school system. The 1900 village census was listed at 650. The village of St. Henry incorporated in 1901; the first officers were Mayor, Jacob Bany, Sr.; Marshall, Joseph Schoeneberger, Treasurer, Edward F. Romer; Clerk, H. A. Beckman; Council J.H. Roemer, A. Gulde, Casper Schoeneberger, Joseph Moeller, Joseph Davis, and J. A. Schirack. In July 1905, a major fire threatened the village and destroyed Brunsí Livery Stable, Hotel, Carriage Business and nearby buildings. The next week, the citizens of the Village gathered to organize a Fire Department. Donated by the St. Henry Commercial Club
 
Erected
Saint Henry, Ohio History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen W. Bernard, April 19, 2018
2. Saint Henry, Ohio History Marker
1998 by St. Henry Commercial Club.
 
Location. 40° 25.059′ N, 84° 38.285′ W. Marker is in Saint Henry, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is on East Main Street (Ohio Route 119), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker is West of the Saint Henry Church fronting a parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: E. Main St., Saint Henry OH 45883, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Henry Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cranberry Prairie (approx. 3.4 miles away); St. Francis Catholic Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Cranberry School Bell (approx. 3.4 miles away); Carthagena Black Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); St. Paul Catholic Church, Sharpsburg (Zenz City) & Sharpsburg School (approx. 5.2 miles away); New Weston Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 6Ĺ miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Saint Henry, Ohio History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen W. Bernard, April 19, 2018
3. Saint Henry, Ohio History Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2018, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2018, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement