Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson

 
 
Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
1. Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Marker
Inscription. Two in a long line of physicians in their family, William and David Caldwell Hewson were significant figures in Orange County. William was born in Philadelphia in 1801. in 1821, he married Mary Ann Bankson and they moved their family several times before settling in Orange in the early 1850s. Dr. Hewson worked as a physician and opened a drugstore in Orange. He also opened Empire Mills, an early area sawmill, and after Orange County organized in 1852, he became involved in construction of the county courthouse and served as district clerk for several terms. Hewson also participated in agricultural and church activities before passing away in 1867.

Dr. David Caldwell Hewson, one of William and Maryís three sons, was born in Pennsylvania in 1826. He married Hannah Bennett in 1847 and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School the next year. The couple moved to Louisiana and had three children before settling in Orange. In the 1850s, Dr. Hewson divorced Hannah and married Harriet Thomas, with whom he had three more children. He worked as a physician and also ran the family drugstore after his fatherís death. Hewson enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1862, working for a time as a medical examiner of conscripts. Upon returning from war, his practice prospered and he turned over operation of the store to his son Benjamin,

Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
2. Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Marker
a pharmacist. In 1884, the Southeast Texas Medical Society elected Dr. Hewson as president. He died in 1896 and, like his father, was buried in Evergreen Cemetery. Today, Drs. William and David C. Hewson are remembered as pioneer doctors who made vital contributions to Orangeís development.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14044.)
 
Location. 30° 5.463′ N, 93° 43.859′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Front Street east of Second Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Harmon (here, next to this marker); Old Niblett's Bluff, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); The Sawmill Industry in Orange County (here, next to this marker); Site Of End Of The Line Station (here, next to this marker); Atakapan Indians of Orange County (here, next to this marker); The Orange Leader (here, next to this marker); Hugh Ochiltree (here, next to this marker); George Alexander Pattillo (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
More about this marker. Located in
Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
3. Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson Marker
the Ochiltree Park.
 
Categories. Science & MedicineSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2018.
Paid Advertisement