Waterford in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
October 28, 1977
Location. 41° 56.42′ N, 79° 58.982′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Pennsylvania, in Erie County. Marker is on High Street (U.S. 19) south of 1st Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. National Register of Historic Places plaque is mounted directly on the Eagle Hotel, at eye-level just right of the front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32 High Street, Waterford PA 16441, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Le Boeuf Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fort Le Boeuf (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Strong Vincent (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Near This Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Fort Le Boeuf (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Le Boeuf (within shouting distance of this marker); Presque Isle Portage (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
Regarding Eagle Hotel.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Le Boeuf Historical Society: The Eagle Hotel.
The Eagle Hotel, also called the Stone Hotel, was constructed in 1826 in the general area of three forts and the American Blockhouse, with locally quarried stone. It along with the Judson Store across the street were two of the first commercial buildings in Waterford’s new commercial district on High Street as it began making its move from the banks of LeBoeuf Creek. (Submitted on April 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Believed to be the original eagle that stood at the entrance to the Eagle Hotel.
Thomas King built the Eagle Hotel, also known as the Stone Hotel because of its period stonework, in 1826. The hotel was located near historic Fort LeBoeuf, the site that sparked the French and Indian War. From plank roads to canals to trains, Waterford was a hub for industrial travel. King, who ran the hotel for a time, was succeeded by Col. P.E. Judson. Many years after the hotel closed, the Fort LeBoeuf Historical Society bought the building and used the upper floors for a museum and office space. Sugar ‘n Spice restaurant, an Amish-style eatery, leased the first floor. The restaurant still operates there today. (Submitted on April 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Eagle Hotel.
The Eagle Hotel is a 2 1⁄2-story, 'L'-shaped building constructed out of fieldstone from a nearby quarry. The main, front portion of the Eagle Hotel is 40 by 50 feet with five bays across and four bays deep, while the rear portion is 36 by 20 feet. The architecture of the Eagle Hotel exceeds that of a typical hotel of the period, with decorative stone features like "corbel ends" and quoining. (Submitted on April 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on May 3, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.