Near East Dublin in Laurens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Governor Troup's Home
When the Federal government failed to carry out its agreement to remove the Indians from Georgia, Troup in 1825 warned the President: "We have exhausted the argument. We stand by our arms". The Indians were removed.
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 087-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 32° 29.12′ N, 82° 49.263′ W. Marker was near East Dublin, Georgia, in Laurens County. Marker was on State Highway 199 0.9 miles north of Interstate 16, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: East Dublin GA 31027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson Davis (approx. Jefferson Davis (approx. 5.8 miles away); Laurens County (approx. 6.2 miles away); Captain Hardy Smith House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Gov. Troupís Tomb (approx. 12.4 miles away); To Gov. Troup's Tomb (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Regarding Governor Troup's Home. Gov. Troup was related to the McIntosh family of Georgia, after whom McIntosh County was named, and to Chief William McIntosh of the Creek Nation. Gov. Troup negotiated the Indian Springs Treaty with Chief McIntosh, ceding Creek lands in Georgia.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Historic markers for the graves of Governor Troup and his parents, respectively.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Governor George Michael Troup. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. George Troup (1780-1856). Biography hosted by the New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,556 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on November 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker prior to its disappearance? • Can you help?