Stony Point in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lighthouse at Stony Point
Eight oil lamps and several metal reflectors provided this station’s first light. In 1856, a modified lamp with a fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed, and the following year a wooden tower was built to hold a bell rung by a clockwork device during foggy weather. In 1890, an improved fog bell was placed at the tip of the peninsula near the water.
From 1853 to 1905, members of a single family served as keepers of the Stony Point Light. In May 1853, Alexander Rose was appointed lightkeeper. His wife Nancy succeeded him upon his death, four years later. She died in 1902. Their daughter, Melinda, who lived most of her life at Stony Point, was the lightkeeper between May 1904 and December 1905. In 1935, she wrote:
We were at the lighthouse fifty-three years; in all that time there were no deaths from accidents on the water. That speaks
The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1926, and replaced by a modern navigational aid at the tip of the peninsula. In 1995, the Stony Point lighthouse – the oldest on the Hudson River – was restored and relighted.
Erected by Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 41° 14.475′ N, 73° 58.31′ W. Marker is in Stony Point, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is on Stony Point Park Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is on the walking trail at the Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Stony Point NY 10980, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle’s Aftermath (here, next to this marker); Commerce and the Hudson River (here, next to this marker); Opportunities Missed and Taken (within shouting distance of this marker); “The fort and garrison, with Col. Johnson, are ours.” (within shouting distance “For God’s sake, why is the Artillery here not being made use of?” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “… with the greatest Intrepidity and coolness.” (about 400 feet away); “… the enemy entered the upper work at the barrier at the same time I did.” (about 400 feet away); Stony Point Battlefield Today (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stony Point.
More about this marker. A picture in the upper middle of the marker has the caption “This late 19th-century photograph shows the second lightkeeper’s residence, built in 1879. It stood on the flat area below and south of the lighthouse. Collections of Stony Point Battlefield Historic Site.” Below this is a modern photograph of the present Stony Point Lighthouse. Photograph courtesy of Don Loprieno. A picture of lighthouses and Bell Towers of Stony Point is at the bottom of the marker, next to a map of the walking tour of the Stony Point Battlefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This series of markers follow the walking
Also see . . .
1. Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site. New York State. (Submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Stony Point Lighthouse. Hudson River Lighthouse Collection website. (Submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Historic Postcard of the Stony Point Lighthouse. Postcard showing the Stony Point Lighthouse from the collection of the Historical Society of Rockland County. (Submitted on August 28, 2009, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.