Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpine in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cornwallis Headquarters

 
 
Cornwallis Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 28, 2018
1. Cornwallis Headquarters Marker
The marker is no longer attached to the front of the Kearney House, but can be seen inside the house.
Inscription.
Cornwallis
Headquarters

Nov. 18th 1776

Restored
with the assistance of the
New Jersey State Federation
of Women’s Clubs
by the
Palisades Interstate
Park Commission

• 1933 •

 
Erected 1933 by Palisades Interstate Park Commission.
 
Location. 40° 56.831′ N, 73° 55.135′ W. Marker is in Alpine, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker can be reached from Alpine Approach Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in the Palisades Interstate Park at the end of the Alpine Approach Road, by the Alpine Boat Basin. Marker is in this post office area: Alpine NJ 07620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Alpine Trail (here, next to this marker); Untangling Folklore from Fact (a few steps from this marker); Along the Palisades Riverfront (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Closter Dock Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Benjamin P. Westervelt Homesite (approx. 2 miles away); Huyler’s Landing Road
Cornwallis Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Cornwallis Headquarters Marker
The British actually made the crossing on the night of November 19-20, 1776, rather than the date indicated on the marker.
(approx. 2.1 miles away); Cap’t John Huyler’s Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); Douwe Talema (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpine.
 
Regarding Cornwallis Headquarters. When the Palisades Interstate Park was established, the house at the Alpine Boat Basin was thought to be used by General Charles Cornwallis as his headquarters when the British Army crossed over to New Jersey and marched on Fort Lee in November of 1776. Around the time of the Bicentennial, research revealed that the actual site of the British Landing may have been about 1½ miles south of this location at what was then called the New Dock. After much debate, the Cornwallis Headquarters marker was removed from the front of the house after being there for over 60 years.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Cornwallis Headquarters image. Click for full size.
3. Cornwallis Headquarters
Marker is seen here next to the door of the Kearney House.
Cornwallis Headquarters Marker on the Kearney House image. Click for full size.
Photo Courtsey of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission
4. Cornwallis Headquarters Marker on the Kearney House
Marker can be seen in an earlier location on the house. It was subsequently moved under the shelter of the porch before finally being removed.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2018, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 30, 2018, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement